Monday, January 7, 2013

The Average Baby Boomer.



Thick fog. Not too bad up here on the ridge but an impenetrable pea souper down in the valley. For some reason all the bakers closed. A day for supermarket croissants and baguette. Spongy and bland. Not like the real thing.

Over breakfast ' the font ' translates an article in the paper. Seems the average baby boomer turned 55 years old on 1st January. The story goes onto say that household spending typically peaks between the ages of 45 to 54 but slips to 92% of this level between 55 to 64 as people then only need to buy replacement products rather than new items. It falls to just 67% of peak spend by the age of 65.  

Angus looks forward to signs that our household expenditures will soon start slipping.The Rickety Old Farmhouse may have different ideas.

9 comments:

  1. Other people's fog always looks so much more atmospheric...
    Cheers Gail (eleven months short of being the 'average' baby boomer).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I consider myself a Baby Boomer too, (born early 60's) but I didn't celebrate my 55th birthday on Jan 1st....guess I'm not average, but then gain, I always knew that!
    Household expenditures slipping after age 55 sounds like a BIG joke to me. Who on earth tallies these research/survey figures and puts meaning to them anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your expenditure may drop, but if I lived there I can be certain my waistline would not - your regular pictures of french baking and food are beyond compare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need most money between the ages of 60 and 70, when you frantically replace broken household equipment and at the same time try to cram as much into life as possible before you run out of steam to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only just turning 45 November 2012, I have a looong way to go before spending slows down or (preferably) stops. *sigh* Keep calm and carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This boomer has her eye on those pastries. I'm swooning.
    I'm a bit older than you, Angus, and I tell you everything you own deceides to quit working or is need of repair, including your own body. Who writes this rubbish?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the name of l'alibi! Wonder what it is made of?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Photograph of the foggy lane looks almost exactly like an Atkinson Grimshaw.
    As to spending decreasing with age.... I don't know about that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great read thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete